SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (September 1, 2023) – The Dorchester County Economic Development office, which serves to support economic growth in the county, announces a month-long push to support the development of the local workforce and labor pipeline.
The county will partner with multiple regional agencies, including SC Works, Trident Technical College, the Greater Summerville Chamber, and the Tri-County Regional Chamber of Commerce, to host an array of opportunities to include career fairs for job seekers and a professional development workshop for entrepreneurs. The Workforce Development Month, a nationally recognized designation to raise awareness of the importance of the growing economy and its labor force, occurs annually in September.
“Here in Dorchester County, as well as throughout the Trident Region, we understand it is crucial to prepare our workforce with the skills needed for tomorrow’s careers” said Michelle McDonald, Deput Director for Economic Development in Dorchester County. “We are striving to make every local citizen competitively hirable, whether they’ve been here for years or are one of the 37 new residents moving to our area every day. Throughout Workforce Development Month, we want to connect every job seeker with the many opportunities to grow and prosper in Dorchester County.”
The full schedule of Dorchester County workforce initiatives for September is as follows:
- Tuesday, September 5 Dorchester County Council will read a Proclamation in support of the Workforce Development Month during their regularly scheduled council meeting at the St. George County Council Chambers, 201 Johnston Street, St. George SC 29477.
- Tuesday, September 12 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the North Charleston Convention Center a Public Service Career Fair will be held for those interested in local government and public sector careers. From 9:00 a.m. to noon high school students will have the opportunity to discuss careers with potential employers, while the general public is welcome to pop in from noon to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 20 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Dorchester County will host a Workforce Career Fair in partnership with SC Works and the Greater Summerville Chamber at the Trident Technical College Dorchester Campus in Summerville. Lunch will be provided to Job Seekers and participating employers.
- Thursday, September 28 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., together with the Tri-County Regional Chamber of Commerce and Trident Technical College, DCED will provide a complimentary Social Media Workshop for Entrepreneurs at the TTC Quickjobs Training Center located at 5164 E Jim Bilton Blvd in St George. The workshop will focus on professional development through social media and will provide lunch to attendees. To register for this free event please visit the Tri-County Regional Chamber website.
To maximize the benefits of each event, attendees should observe the following guidelines:
- Bring an updated resume to the hiring event
- Be prepared for an on‐site interview
- Email updated resume to employers, if needed
SC Works Trident is available to provide resume assistance to job seekers ahead of the events. Those interested in this service can book an appointment with a career coach at scworkstrident.org/scheduler.