SUMMERVILLE, SC (December 30, 2022) – Dorchester County Economic Development, which serves to support economic growth in the county, celebrates the successful expansion and establishment of record local business in 2022.
The year produced 9 official announcements totaling more than $406 million in new capital investment. This outweighs the previous county record of 6 announcements, in both 2017 and 2019, and is the largest single-year investment total since the organization’s inception in 1989 by more than $84 million. The year’s advancements will create an estimated 1231 new jobs, the second highest in Dorchester County in 25 years.
“Thanks to a shared synergy and dedication from allies across every level we proudly report the accomplishments brought forth in 2022” said John Truluck, Director of Economic Development. “We will continue to work on strategic positioning of our county and laying the foundation for future wins.”
- Sportsman Boats Manufacturing Inc announced in March 2022 plans to expand its operations with an $8 million investment, creating 75 jobs.
- BID Group, a leader in wood processing, announced in May a $10.6 million investment, creating 25 new jobs.
- In June, ENGESER USA Corp, a world leading cable specialist, announced plans to establish operations in Dorchester County. The $1.5 million investment will create 26 new jobs.
- New Wire Marine, announced in September plans to expand operations with a $1.8 million investment, creating 38 new jobs over the next 5 years.
- Phenom Yachts, LLC, a subsidiary of South Carolina-based Sportsman Boats Manufacturing Inc., announced in October plans to establish operations in Dorchester County with a $12 million investment, creating 149 new jobs.
- Arcadia Cold Storage & Logistics, a specialist in modern cold storage solutions, announced plans in October to establish operations in Dorchester County with a $70 million investment, creating 69 new jobs.
- In October, Bosch announced the launch of electric motor production at its Dorchester County facility, alongside a $260 million investment expected to create 350 new jobs associated with the new production line.
- KION North America, announced in December plans to expand operations in with an estimated $40 million investment which will create approximately 450 new jobs.
- In December, Dennis Eagle, Inc. announced plans to expand its operations in Dorchester County. The $2.1 million investment will create 49 new jobs over the next five years.
Private developers also broke ground on multiple spec buildings located along Highway 78 in Summerville and near St. George in Dorchester County. “With remarkably high interest from tenants and particularly low building inventory, the addition of these buildings is a timely welcome” states Truluck. An impressive 9 speculative buildings are currently under construction in Dorchester County, totaling over 3.1 million square feet.
- In March construction began on a 229,840sf spec building located at the Eastport Distribution Center. A second 322,400sf building broke ground in December.
- McQueen Distribution Center also began construction of a 110,000sf building in March, delivering early 2023.
- In October, construction on two of three speculative buildings began at the Port 95 Business Park located at the 1,300 acre Winding woods Industrial Park. Building 1 is a 978,000sf cross-dock distribution warehouse building, while Building 2, will be a 242,000sf single-loaded building adaptable to manufacturing or distribution.
- In November, construction commenced on a new commerce center located at 130 Hodge Road in McQueen Industrial Park. The new commerce center will house two industrial speculative buildings totaling 533,280 square feet.
- Two speculative buildings totaling 780,260 sf were started in November at Jedburg Logistics Park.
Throughout the year DCED’s team dedicated time and talent to winning new business and assisting existing industries. To stay informed on the latest Dorchester County Economic Development updates, visit DorchesterforBusiness.com